Back to School: Paperless & Painless!
Going back to school is exciting, but collecting information for new students can be stressful! Does your school have a school wide packet of papers to send home & bring back? Ours does! I also like to collect information in addition to the packet. It is a bit of a hassle for both parents and teachers, but it is necessary! How can we take some of the stress out of Back to School for both teachers & families? Let's go (almost) paperless & make the process painless!
This bright half sheet of paper acts as a Back to School Checklist for families. Everything that they need to complete & turn in is on this paper. I created the following sections to help organize tasks.
- Conference Sign Ups: Use Sign Up Genius to have families sign up for Fall Conferences. You can even select an option that automatically sends the families a reminder email! A QR Code allows families to quickly scan on their phone & sign up for a time that works best! No more crowding/hovering around the Conference Sign Up sheet at Back to School Night! :-)
- Back to School Forms: Create a Google Form for the information that you would personally like to collect for your classroom. I created a form to collect the following information: Student interests/strengths/goals, parent contact, classroom media release, t-shirt size, etc. The best part is that there is nothing to turn in and all the information stays organized in one document! Use a QR Code to allow families to quickly access the form! *Quick tip: Once you have completed your google form go to settings, general. Where it says 'Respondents Can' make sure the box for 'see summary charts and text responses' is NOT clicked. That way your families cannot see what others are writing.*
- Remind App: The Remind App is a great tool to allow teachers to communicate quickly with families via text. You can select an option where the remind text cannot be replied to. This is perfect for reminders about field trips, classroom parties, & other special events. Our administration uses this to quickly communicate with all teachers in case of emergency or for simple reminders. Create a QR Code so families can quickly scan to sign up! Include the specific information for your class that is given to you when you sign up. (It usually is a # to text & a specific message to type...then you will be signed up!)
- From the Packet: This section is a checklist of paper copies that must be returned to school. These are papers from our school wide packet. Families can check them off as they complete them.
- Bring in Money For: Have specific items that need to be purchased? Include money that needs to be sent in here!
***Unsure of how to create QR Codes to link to different websites? Check out Angie Olson's post on how to create QR Codes below!***
***I included shortened links below each QR Code in case families need to complete information on a computer. Shortened links are just shortened versions of long web addresses. They can be created HERE.***
I hope this post has helped ease the stress of going Back to School!
-Ashley from Teach With Ashley